Decadent and delicious, these chocolate chip blondies are everything you like about classic chocolate chip cookies, without all of the fuss of scooping and baking multiple pans. The chewy texture is perfect for dunking in a glass of ice-cold milk or packing in a lunchbox.
Because of the ratio of flour to sugar, these bars aren’t too sweet. You can reduce the sweetness even more by using unsweetened chocolate chips and these bars will still taste great. Especially if you are using them to make a sundae.
I tested this recipe 5 times to get the amount of leavening agent just right. ¼ teaspoon of baking powder doesn’t seem like much, but it's the right amount to get the perfect texture of blondie, without puffing up and deflating in the center. With this amount of baking powder, you will get a nice, even chocolate chip blondie bar that doesn't sag in the middle or deflate when you take it out of the oven.
These are best eaten warm, but can still be enjoyed cold. Top the warm blondies with a scoop of ice cream for an even more decadent treat.
You can use white chocolate chips instead of semi-sweet chocolate chips. Small chocolate chunks would also work well in this recipe. You can also swap out the walnuts for cashews or pecans.
You can substitute the vanilla for almond extract or hazelnut extract for a more nutty flavor.
Yes! Just thaw the brownies before serving, or pop the individual bar in the microwave for 10 seconds or until warmed through to your liking.
I highly recommend parchment for this recipe so you can easily lift the bars out of the pan and cut them. If your pan is nonstick, just be sure to flip your bars out of the pan before you cut them so you don’t damage the finish on your pan.
Chocolate chip Blondies
- 1 9x9 square pan
- 1 parchment paper cut to fit pan
- ½ cup unsalted butter
- 1 ½ cups brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips divided
- 1 cup chopped walnuts optional
- Prepare a 9x9 pan by spraying lightly with pan spray and lining with a parchment sling cut to fit the pan. Set aside. Preheat the oven to 325℉
- Melt the butter in the microwave for 45-60 seconds, then add the brown sugar, eggs and vanilla extract. Stir together until everything is combined.½ cup unsalted butter, 1 ½ cups brown sugar, 2 large eggs, 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Add the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Stir until everything is well incorporated and no flour streaks remain.2 cups all purpose flour, ¼ teaspoon baking powder, 1 teaspoon salt
- Fold in half of the chocolate chips and the walnuts, if using. Pour the batter into the prepared pan, smoothing to the edges. Sprinkle the remaining chocolate chips on top of the dough.1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips, 1 cup chopped walnuts
- Bake at 325 ℉ for 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Let cool completely before slicing into 12 bars.