No family holiday gathering is complete without a punch! This refreshing ginger punch made with fresh ginger is a great alternative to the overly sweet “red punch” I grew up with.
While this punch would be welcome at a holiday dinner, you can serve it year-round, and is a great summer drink.
This was inspired by a drink recipe in a vintage cookbook. You'll love it because it comes together so quickly. You may also like the mint iced tea recipe.
You only need 6 simple ingredients for this recipe.
- fresh ginger
- soda water (sparkling water)
- fresh orange juice
- fresh lemon juice
- candied ginger slices
See the printable recipe card for quantities.
This non-alcoholic ginger punch is so easy to put together. You can use the ginger syrup for any of your favorite cocktails and mocktails.
To make the ginger punch, just start by peeling fresh ginger to make the ginger syrup. Once the syrup is complete, add it to the pitcher with the fresh juices and top with the soda water.
Hint: You can reserve some of the ginger slices you strained out of the syrup to garnish the edge of the glasses. You can also purchase pre-made candied ginger sliced slices from the grocery store. It is usually located in the same section with the dried fruit.
- Sugar - instead of granulated sugar, you can use agave syrup or honey. The flavor will definitely be different, but still tasty.
- Freshly squeezed lemon juice and orange juice - use bottled juices for convenience.
- Soda water - the soda water can be replaced with your favorite type of sparkling water.
There are a few ways you can customize this drink to make it your own and tailor it to your guests.
- Alcoholic drink- If you don't need this ginger punch to be non-alcoholic, you can add prosecco or some other type of sparkling wine.
- Sparkling apple cider would also work in this recipe and it would not overpower the ginger. If you do use sparkling apple cider, I would cut back on the sugar in the recipe since the cider is already sweet.
This drink is best served right away since the soda water will lose its carbonation over time. If you do have any ginger punch leftover, you can store it in a mason jar in the refrigerator, or cover the pitcher with plastic wrap.
📖Printable Recipe Card
Cold Ginger Drink Recipe (Ginger Punch)
- 1 small saucepan
- 1 strainer
- 1 citrus press
- 1 glass pitcher
- 8 ounces fresh ginger
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- 4 cups soda water seltzer water
- ½ cup orange juice
- ½ cup lemon juice
- Candied ginger slices as needed (optional)
- Peel the ginger and slice with a sharp chef's knife. Add the chopped ginger, sugar and water to a medium sized pot and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium and let simmer for 10 minutes. pour the ginger mixture through a wire mesh strainer and let the syrup cool slightly. Discard the pieces of ginger.
- Add the ginger syrup, orange and lemon juice to a large pitcher and stir to combine. Add the soda water to the pitcher and stir again.
- Serve with a slice of candied ginger to garnish the serving glasses.