This post may contain affiliate links.
Pumpkin spice latte who??? If you're looking for a spicy coffee recipe, then look no further. This chai coffee recipe uses my homemade chai concentrate. No espresso maker needed.
My homemade chai tea concentrate is perfect for making iced chai tea lattes and vegan chai lattes. This coffee chai or "dirty chai recipe" is also known as a filthy chai latte if you use 2 shots of espresso instead of one.
The spicy chai flavor that makes traditional masala chai such a popular drink is the prominent flavor in this easy coffee recipe.
The next time you are about to grab you keys and head for your favorite coffee shop, remember that you can save your coins and make this delicious drink at home.
- chai concentrate
- instant coffee
See recipe card for quantities.
Heat your choice of milk over medium heat until steaming. I used my milk frother for this, but you can use a small pot on the stove or heat the milk in the microwave.
In a mug mix the heated milk, instant coffee and chai concentrate. Stir until combined and drink right away.
- Milk - I used oat milk for this recipe. Whole milk, soy milk, almond milk, cahsew milk or any type of non-dairy milk will work well in this recipe. Keep in mind that if you use coconut milk, the coconut flavor will be prominent.
- Instant Coffee - use a shot of espresso if you have an espresso machine, or use instant espresso for a more powerful jolt than instant coffee.
- Chai concentrate- You can use storebought or homemade chai concentrate. These concentrates are already sweetned, but if you find you need a little bit more, you can add extra maple syrup or brown sugar to your drink.
- Iced dirty chai latte- Mix the instant coffee or instant espresso into cold milk, then pour over ice. Add the chai syrup and a straw.
- Filthy chai latte recipe- Istead of instant coffee add 2 espresso shots.
If you like this drink, you may also like this iced blonde vanilla latte.
🍳Equipment for coffee recipes
One piece of equipment I reccomend for coffee lovers is a milk frother. I have this one made by Instant Brands.
It is very affordable and is a great way to make frothed milk. You can make hot frothed milk or cold frothed milk with this model and it also has a setting to heat drinks without frothing that I love.
💭What is homemade chai concentrate?
Homemade chai concentrate is a syrup made with a blend of spices like cardamom pods, black pepper, and cinnamon sticks. Black tea bags are also used in the concentrate.
Once its made, you can store it in the refrigerator and use it to make drinks like a dirty chai tea latte or other coffee drinks. The chai spices add a warmth to drinks and has a flavor profile similar to pumpkin spice, but more complex.
📖Printable Recipe Card
Chai Coffee Recipe
- 1 milk frother optional
- 1 cup milk
- ¼ cup chai tea concentrate
- 1 teaspoon instant coffee
- In a small saucepan, heat the milk over medium heat until it starts steaming. Be careful not to let it boil. You can also use a milk frother on the hot beverage setting for this step.1 cup milk
- In a mug, mix the heated milk and instant coffee. Stir until the coffee granules dissolve. Add the chai concentrate and stir until it's fully incorporated.1 teaspoon instant coffee, ¼ cup chai tea concentrate
- Pour the chai coffee into a mug and garnish with milk foam or whipped cream. You can also add a sprinkle of cinnamon or a piece of star anise, if desired.