This post may contain affiliate links.
If I had a dollar for every New York Club Sandwich I've made in my lifetime, I'd be rolling in dough! Some of my first restaurant jobs were in country clubs and no matter where I worked, club sandwiches were always on the menu.
A traditional club sandwich, or clubhouse sandwich as they used to be called, is a triple decker sandwich consisting of three slices of bread. One country club I worked at used crisp lettuce, tomato slices, deli turkey, slices of bacon and layers of ham for their popular sandwich. We also put mayonnaise and mustard on the bread. This added flavor, of course, but it also helped the ingredients stick to the bread once you cut it.
Before you make this sandwich, be sure to have some long toothpicks on hand. I like using the ones with a frill so people can easily see that it needs to be removed. You can also use mini bamboo skewers to secure the sandwich before cutting it into triangular pieces.
This sandwich is great for lunch or dinner because it comes together quickly and there's no real cooking involved.
If you are looking for a large sandwich to feed a crowd, then you'll love this party sub recipe.
This triple decker sandwich is a great way to use up leftover meats during the holidays.
- White bread slices- If you can find a pullman loaf of bread that has perfectly square slices, use that for this recipe.
- Turkey- I like to use smoked deli turkey for this recipe that is thinly sliced.
- Green leaf lettuce- fresh lettuce is a must for this recipe. I love the curly edges of green leaf because it makes a picture perfect original club sandwich.
- Beefsteak tomato- these large juicy tomatoes are perfect.
- Cheddar cheese
- Bacon- for this recipe, make sure the bacon isn't too crispy or it will fall apart into crumbles when you try to cut the sandwich. I followed these instructions from fellow blogger Charlotte on how to make bacon in the air fryer.
- Sriracha mayo- I use a mixture of ¼ cup mayonnaise and a table spoon of sriracha. You can also buy premade sriracha mayo.
See recipe card for quantities.
Toast the three slices of bread then spread one side of each bread slice with the sriracha mayonnaise.
Top one of the slices of bread with turkey, a leaf of lettuce and a slice of cheese. Top the other slice of toast with the turkey, thinly sliced tomato and 3 slices of bacon.
Place the second slice of bread on top of the first, then top with the last slice of bread mayo side down.
Position the long toothpick at the top, bottom, left and right sides of the bread to secure the triple-decker sandwich. Cut the sandwich in between the cocktail sticks to make 4 triangle sections.
Plate the sandwich cut side up on a plate and serve with potato chips and a pickle spear.
- Lettuce leaves - instead of green leaf lettuce, you can use romaine lettuce or iceberg lettuce
- Bread - use white sandwich bread, whole wheat bread or 7 grain bread. Try to find a bread that is as square as possible so your sandwich slices into even triangles.
- Turkey - the sliced deli turkey can be replaced with sliced deli chicken or leftover roasted turkey. You can also use sliced ham on one of the slices of the toasted bread instead of putting turkey on both slices of bread.
- Cheese- use Colby jack, white cheddar or provolone cheese.
- Sriracha mayo- Use regular mayonnaise on the bread or use honey mustard.
- California Club - add avocado slices and thinly sliced red onion to one of the layers
- Simplified - only use two slices of bread and cut the sandwich in half. It won't be a classic club sandwich, but it will still be delicious.
You will need a toaster to toast the bread slices. I don't have one, so I just toasted the bread in my air fryer.
This serrated knife is also great to have on hand so you can cut the slices cleanly without crushing the layers of bread once the sandwich is assembled.
This sandwich does not store well. The bread will turn soggy and unappetizing if not eating shortly after assembling the sandwich. If you must make this sandwich in advance, I'd recommend leaving the mayonnaise off the bread so it won't soften as much.
Wrap the sandwich in parchment paper and store in a sandwich bag in the refrigerator for no more than 24 hours. You can serve the mayonnaise on the side when you are ready to eat.
You need a good serrated knife to cut through this sandwich. Be sure to use a sawing motion to cut perfect club sandwich slices.
💭What to serve with a club sandwich
- French fries check out these fries from my blogging friend Charlotte.
- Potato Chips
- Potato salad
- Iced tea or mint tea
- Fresh fruit
- Cookies or brownies
📖Printable Recipe Card
New York Club Sandwich Recipe
- 1 serrated knife
- 6 each white bread sliced
- 8 ounces deli turkey
- 3 leaves green leaf lettuce
- 1 each beefsteak tomato sliced
- 4 slices cheddar cheese
- 6 slices bacon cooked
- ¼ cup sriracha mayonnaise
- Toast the three slices of bread then spread one side of each bread slice with the sriracha mayonnaise.6 each white bread sliced, ¼ cup sriracha mayonnaise
- Top one of the slices of bread with turkey, a leaf of lettuce and a slice of cheese. Top the other slice of toast with the turkey, thinly sliced tomato and 3 slices of bacon.8 ounces deli turkey, 3 leaves green leaf lettuce, 1 each beefsteak tomato, 4 slices cheddar cheese, 6 slices bacon
- Place the second slice of bread on top of the first, then top with the last slice of bread mayo side down.
- Position the long toothpick at the top, bottom, left and right sides of the bread to secure the triple-decker sandwich. Cut the sandwich in between the cocktail sticks to make 4 triangle sections. Plate the sandwich cut side up on a plate and serve with potato chips and a pickle spear.