This post may contain affiliate links.
This virgin shirley temple recipe is a great non-alcoholic drink to serve on special occasions when you want to feel a bit festive.
My mom orders this drink all the time as a card-carrying saint. The best part is the kids can try her drink or order one for themselves since it doesn't contain liquor.
This delicious virgin drink is named after the famous child actress turned US diplomat Shirley Temple Black. This fun drink has a fruity flavor from the splash of grenadine syrup. It's great sweet drink to serve at a baby shower or for Memorial Day backyard barbecues.
You only need 3 simple ingredients for this recipe:
- Marachino cherries
- Grenadine syrup
- Lemon Lime soda
See recipe card for quantities.
Place the ice in a drinking glass. Add the grenadine, then add the lemon lime soda. Stir with a straw until combined.
Add marachino cherries with the stem on for garnish. You can also add fresh lime for garnish as well.
This is such an easy cocktail to make, but you do have a few options when it comes to the ingredients.
- Grenadine - instead grenadine, use the maraschino cherry juice from the jar of maraschino cherries or pomegranate juice. The drink won't have that classic Shirley Temple mocktail taste, but will still have that same pink color that makes it so popular with the kids. Pomegranate syrup and cranberry juice can also be substituted for the grenadine.
- Lemon Lime Soda - I used 7up, but ginger ale, Sprite or Sierra mist will also make a delicious drink. If you want yor drink to have a bit more bite, use ginger beer instead of the soda.
- Lime- Add a squeeze of fresh lime juice to the drink and ganish with a lime wedge or an orange slice for a refreshing citrus flavor.
- Dirty Shirley cocktail - the addition of vodka to this classic drink turns it into an adults only beverage.
You might also like this cold ginger drink recipe made with club soda if you need another fun mocktail to serve at your next party.
Any tall drinking glass will do for this classick mocktail as long as it's about 16ounces. I love serving this classic shirley temple drink in these glasses that are shaped like soda cans.
If you plan on making this Shirley Temple drink recipe in a big batch, you can store the leftovers in a jar with a tight fitting lid. I like to save the soda bottle so I can pour any leftover back into it before popping it into the fridge.
Just be aware that the drink will loose caronation the longer it is stored.
Virgin Shirley Temple Recipe
- 1 serving glass 16 ounces
- Ice cubes
- 1 cup of lemon-lime soda such as Sprite or 7-Up
- 2 tablespoons of grenadine syrup
- 2 each Maraschino cherries for garnish
- Fill a glass with ice cubes. Choose a glass size that suits your preference.
- Add 2 tablespoons of grenadine syrup to the glass.Pour the lemon-lime soda into the glass. Stir with a straw, then garnish with 2 cherries. Serve immediately.