This post may contain affiliate links.
Birria fans know all about this tender beef dish typically slow cooked in a red chile sauce. This Mexican beef dish is typically used to make quesabirria tacos or even birria ramen. Today I'm using my instant pot birria recipe and making a cheesy birria pizza.
Making a whole pizza is a delicious way to use this juicy meat and the best part is you don't have to go out to your favorite food truck or restaurant to make it happen.
- beef birria meat
- Birria sauce
- pizza dough
- mozzarella cheese
- oaxaca cheese
- olive oil
- Fresh cilantro
- diced white onions
- garlic butter for crust
See recipe card for quantities.
Oil the baking sheet and stretch the dough to fit the pan.
Top the stretched dough with birria sauce, shredded cheeses, and beef birria meat. Bake in the preheated oven for 12-15 minutes or until the crust is golden brown.
Brush the crust with the prepared garlic butter. Top the pizza with fresh cilantro and diced white onions.
- Birria meat - instead of making my version of birria with chuck roast, you can use a premade birria. I found this one at my local Sam's club. I also have a recipe for 3 ingredient birria on my website here.
- Birria sauce - use pizza suace instead if you don't have enough birria sauce left to cover the pizza
- Cheeses - the blend of oaxaca and mozzarella cheese are perfect for this recipe. As an alternative, you can you colby jack cheese.
- Pizza dough- Feel free to use a pre-baked pizza crust or a flatbread pizza crust instead of the dough.
- Spicy - add chili pepper flakes to the pizza sauce and top the finished pizza with thin slices of fresh jalapenos.
- Chicken- You can cook chicken in birria sauce to make a birria style chicken pizza. You can also use plain leftover roasted chicken that you hand shredded on this pizza instead of the beef. Its a great way to use up any remaining birria sauce if you have used up all the birria meat.
Your pizza crust will be nice a crisp when cooking it on a stone, but my family prefers a softer crust, so I use the pizza pan.
This pizza is best eaten fresh, but if you can't finish it all in one sitting, store it in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
To reheat the pizza, place a slice on a preheated pizza stone and let the pizza heat up until warmed through. You can also reheat the pizza in an air fryer at 350F for 3-5 minutes or until the pizza is reheated to you liking.
If you reheat the pizza in the microwave, the crust will be soggy, but still edible. I prefer the oven or air fryer method for reheating leftover pizza.
Don't use too much sauce on the pizza or the dough will be soggy. you can always serve the extra consomme on the side and dip the slices of birria into the sauce.
For maximum cheese pull, shred your cheeses by hand. The pre-shredded cheeses have a coating on them that keeps them from clumping together. The cheese is more stretchy if you grate it yourelf.
📖Printable Recipe Card
- 1 pizza pan 16 inches in diameter
- 1 pound birria meat
- 1 ½ cups Birria sauce
- 1 pound pizza dough
- 6 ounces mozzarella cheese shredded
- 6 ounces oaxaca cheese shredded
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 2 Tablespoons cup Fresh cilantro chopped
- ¼ cup diced white onions
garlic butter for crust
- 2 tablespoon unsalted butter melted
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon italian seasoning
- Preheat the oven to 475 F Let the pizza dough come up to room temperature.1 pound pizza dough
- While the oven is preheating, reduce the sauce if needed. Pour 1 ½ cups of birria sauce in a large skillet and reduce it by 1 third or until it is thickned to your liking. You will have about one cup of sauce left. The sauce will thicken more as it cools.1 ½ cups Birria sauce
- Place 2 Tablespoons of olive oil on the pizza baking sheet and start to stretch the dough to fit the pan.2 Tablespoons olive oil
- Top the stretched dough with ¾ cup birria sauce (save the rest for dipping the finished pizza) and the shredded cheeses. Add the beef birria meat then bake in the preheated oven for 12-15 minutes or until the crust is golden brown.1 ½ cups Birria sauce, 6 ounces mozzarella cheese, 6 ounces oaxaca cheese, 1 pound birria meat
- Remove the pizza from the oven and brush the crust with the prepared garlic butter. Top the pizza with fresh cilantro and diced white onions.2 Tablespoons cup Fresh cilantro, ¼ cup diced white onions
- Slice into wedges and serve immedietely. Serve any extra birria sauce on the side to dip the pizza in.
- Mix together the melted butter, garlic powder and Italian seasoning. Set aside until the pizza comes out of the oven.2 tablespoon unsalted butter, 1 teaspoon garlic powder, 1 teaspoon italian seasoning