This post may contain affiliate links.
This vegan chai latte recipe is perfect for chilly fall days. If you are over pumpkin spice everything, but still want something cozy and familiar, this drink will fit the bill.
- What ingredients are in chai a spice blend?
- How to make your own vegan chai latte
- 🎥Vegan Latte Video
- Substitutes for vegan chai tea latte
- What to serve with The vegan chai latte
- 🥣How to make the chai concentrate
- Equipment needed
- What else can I make with the homemade chai concentrate?
- 📖Printable Recipe Card
- Batch of chai concentrate
- oat milk
- chai spices
What ingredients are in chai a spice blend?
A chai spice blend typically is made by toasting whole spices like star anise, black peppercorns, and whole cloves, then grinding them in a mortar and pestle. While you can make your own chai spice mix, I like the simplicity of a pre-ground spice mix.
You may want to filter you finished drink through a fine-mesh strainer even when using store bought spice blends.
How to make your own vegan chai latte
- To make this vegan masala chai, pour 1 cup of oat milk and ½ cup of chai concentrate into a small saucepan.
- Bring to a simmer over medium heat. Turn off the heat as soon as the mixture comes to a simmer.
- In a milk frother, froth ⅓ cup of the oat milk. Pour the heated oat milk and chai blend into a mug. Top with the frothed oat milk and sprinkle with the ground chai spice. Serve immediately.
🎥Vegan Latte Video
Substitutes for vegan chai tea latte
Oat milk- this can be substituted for any non-dairy milk. soy milk, almond milk, coconut milk, cashew milk are all great options. The coconut milk has the strongest flavor, so keep that in mind when preparing your drink.
I love using oat milk, because it foams beautifully.
Chai spices- use ground cinnamon as garnish for the finished drink.
This recipe is for a vegan chai latte, so plant-based milk is the clear choice. If you don't need to go plant-based, this recipe does work with traditional dairy milk as well.
Classic masala chai uses freshly ground spices instead of a pre-made chai masala spice mix. If you want a more traditional masala chai recipe, check out this video from Bhavna's Kitchen.
What to serve with The vegan chai latte
Some of my favorite baked goods to serve with this homemade chai latte are:
🥣How to make the chai concentrate
I have a complete blog post that details how to make a batch of chai concentrate. I love having this on hand because it already has the sugar, black tea bags, and the blend of spices.
So all you have to do is mix the chai concentrate and your choice of milk together and you're done!
Fine mesh strainer- Some of the premade spice blends may have stringy pieces of dried ginger or bits of cinnamon sticks that need to ne strained out. You'll also want to use a strainer if you use loose black tea leaves instead of chai tea bags.
Milk frother- This is the milk frother I love. It's very affordable, but if you don't want another small appliance that takes up counter space, you can use a hand frother that can easily fit in a drawer.
Small pan- You will need a small saucepan to heat up your milk, or a medium saucepan if you are making more than one chai latte at a time.
What else can I make with the homemade chai concentrate?
📖Printable Recipe Card
Vegan chai latte recipe
- 1 saucepan
- 1 milk frother
- 1 ⅓ cup oat milk divided
- ½ cup chai concentrate
- ⅛ teaspoon chai spice blend ground
- To make this vegan masala chai, pour 1 cup of oat milk and ½ cup of chai concentrate into a small saucepan. Bring to a simmer over medium heat. Turn off the heat as soon as the mixture comes to a simmer.
- In a milk frother, froth ⅓ cup of the oat milk. Pour the heated oat milk and chai blend into a mug.
- Top with the frothed oat milk and sprinkle with the ground chai spice. Serve immediately.